Home Angels’ Mission
Do not drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
Your life is your message to the world….Make it inspiring!
Our mission is to save lives of your loved ones by sharing the stories of our children, Alex and Jamie, who died in car crashes , caused by impaired and distracted driving.
We want you to think about planning before you go out to have fun, making wiser choices and avoiding the painful consequences that dangerous and destructive decisions and behaviors like Driving Under the Influence, texting, speeding, etc. have on families, loved ones, friends- all of us.
We strive to educate young and old on how to make better decisions and learn what the effects of alcohol and drugs have on young brains and bodies. We as parents try to do all we can to protect our children and give them the tools to be successful, safe and better decision-makers. But the young don’t ever think they will die so we have to teach them that life can be taken in a second, that they are so valuable- more than a drink or a joint, and to surround themselves with people who care about them. Please visit the links on our site for helpful information on drinking and driving, DUI laws, youth education on impairment, support, grief counseling, and parenting aids.
Angels on Your Shoulders was born from the hearts of two mothers, Linda Silva and Roseanne Martinez, who lost their children to crashes caused by impaired driving. With the spirits and love of our own Angels, Alex Silva and Jamie Sara Maier, we work to make a difference and save lives through educating drivers and making them aware of the terrible consequences that poor decisions or lack of planning can have on their families.
- Angels on Your Shoulders is proud to be a program of the Broward-Dade Safety Council, a division of Broward County Commission on Alcoholism, a non-profit organization dedicated to educating and fostering Traffic Safety in the community since 1968. The Executive Director, Jose Rada, has helped enormously in spreading the word of the work Angels does throughout the business community. We are proud that our efforts to save lives and educate young people on their value and importance to their families and society are supported by such wonderful organizations as Florida Safety Council, Memorial Health Services, Community Traffic Safety, United Way and RedCap Services, among others.
- Angels on Your Shoulders speaks at schools, rehab centers, DUI classes, military, corporations, public service institutions…anywhere we can make a difference in saving lives. Please call or email us so we can help keep your students or employees safe. We would love to hear from you. Our childrens’ stories and lives have helped countless teens and adults learn to plan ahead and return home safe.
- The pain of losing someone we love is always very deep and for many of us something we never forget. The pain of losing one’s child or sibling is even more devastating and the worst pain any one can feel, no matter the cause. When we lose our child, brother or sister due to preventable actions, it is more difficult to make sense of and harder to live with and accept.
- The grief a parent or a close sibling feels never goes away…no matter what anyone tells you. Only those who have suffered such a loss understand only too well the every day pain. We don’t want any families to feel the overwhelming sadness, grief and emptiness that comes with this devastating experience. For those of you who have, we hope you find this to be a safe haven where you can come and share your stories. We want you to have hope that you can survive and even thrive by helping others and talking about your loved ones’ lives. We understand only too well the need to keep our children alive and sharing their stories helps us all.
- We also need to remind ourselves and, especially, our children to listen to our inner voices- our gut, our conscience, our friends…our Angels on our Shoulders and constantly reinforce this as a guide to making good decisions. Good people make bad choices. It doesn’t make them bad…just human. We all make mistakes. We must give our loved ones the tools to make the right choices and have plans in place for the unexpected. We have to make it safe for them and teach them to take responsibility for themselves and their friends, especially when they are driving. They can have fun…we want them to. We just want them safe.
- There are too many crashes, injuries and deaths in the 16 to 29 year old age range every year due to driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, and medication or distracted driving like texting, cell phone use, aggressive driving, speeding and just conversation. And they are all preventable. Simple planning and forethought make all the difference between life and death.
- Driving is the most dangerous activity we do everyday…respecting that helps us be safer and more focused drivers.
- When we are young, we think we are invincible. Nothing can touch us. Sadly, that can change in seconds! And the ones left behind are left to live with the grief and loss. But our loved ones offer us hope in the future by pushing us to help others have long, happy and loving lives.
- We gladly welcome volunteers and donations to our cause and greatly appreciate your support in helping us reach our goal: saving lives and educating both young and adult drivers to make better decisions so they can Stay Alive and Thrive. Donations are used to make Traffic Safety CDs, videos, tip sheets, pictures, demonstrations and training materials as well as personally bringing the message to thousands of people annually.
Remember, no amount is too small to save a life! And your contribution is tax-deductible! Have a great day and thank you for your generous support in helping us help all young and adult drivers Stay Alive and Thrive. And, please, listen to the Angels on Your Shoulders.